Google Apps For Education
Student Accounts - Forgotten Username and Passwords
Students are to use their district Google accounts to access Canvas. These are the same login credentials that were used to log into Google Classroom & Google Drive.
New to the district and don't have your Google Apps account information? Ask your parents to check the eDocuments section of the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
If you forget your login credentials, please reach out to your school librarian/media specialist or the info help desk. School contacts are below:
- Clinton Elementary School - email@example.com
- Jefferson Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marshall Elementary School - email@example.com
- Montrose (Preschool Program) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seth Boyden Elementary School - email@example.com
- South Mountain Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuscan Elementary School - email@example.com
- Maplewood Middle School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Orange Middle School - email@example.com
Columbia High School
- Columbia High School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbia High School - email@example.com
In addition to the contacts above, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your district Google account reset.
Student Google Account Letters
- Families new to the district during the 2020 - 2021 school year can obtain your child's district Google account credentials in the eDocuments section of the PowerSchool Parent Portal (available September 1, 2020).
- A blank copy of the Google Account Letter can be found here.
GSuite for Education is a cloud-based environment for collaborating with others in a variety of programs, including shared word processor, spreadsheet, and many others.
The SOMSD Google Apps domain is a secure environment for sharing with others in the school district. SOMSD's core set of Google Apps, for use in its secure Domain:
- Gmail For Students: An email service provided by Google. Email storage is unlimited. Students emails are limited to send and receive only to other SOMSD email addresses (and a few select outside senders approved by administration).
- Google Drive: This service allows students to organize their files that are created in GSuite.
- Google Classroom: An online classroom management tool that allows teachers to collect assignments paperlessly.
- Google Docs: This service is an online word processing program. Since this application is online, users can collaborate on docs simultaneously.
- Google Spreadsheets: This service is an online spreadsheet program. Since this application is online, users can collaborate on docs simultaneously.
- Google Presentations: This service is an online presentation program. Since this application in online, users can collaborate on presentations/slides simultaneously.
Why Is the District Providing These Tools to Students?
It is important for our students to remain competitive and connected in the 21st century. Technology has become interwoven in many facets of our lives. It is vital that our students have experience with these tools in an educational setting.
Google Apps for Education will:
- Allow our students to practice using current technology applications and tools.
- Give our students tools to facilitate planning and time management skills.
- Help our students reduce the need for paper based communication.
- Provide our students with large storage mediums for their work. All students will receive unlimited Google Apps for Education storage while enrolled in SOMSD.
- Allow our students to work collaboratively with one another (engage in peer editing, etc.).
- Google Apps for Education Website
- About Each Google Applications
- Google Apps for Education Trust Center