District Chromebooks For Students (1 to 1 Device Initative)
Additional time slots are added each week. If time slots are not available on the calendar, please check back later.
Please note: Chromebooks will not be distributed during Fall Break (11/1/2021 - 11/5/ 2021).
All students in grades K - 12 will be provided with a district issued Chromebook.
District Return to School Guidebook
- Chromebook District 1:1 - Review the Districts Fall 2021 Return to School Guidebook (Starting at page 24 for more details regarding the 1:1 Initiative)
- Elementary School Chromebook Information (TBD)
Policies and Guidelines
All families are required to electronically review and sign the following documents via the PowerSchool Parent Portal:
- SOMSD Student Chromebook Agreement
- District Policy 2361 - Acceptable Use of Computer Networks / Computers and Resources
- District Policy 5513 - Care of School Property
- District Chromebook Initiative FAQs
Any device damage should be reported to the district using the form below. Students can drop off their damaged Chromebooks in a designated drop off box at each of the schools. Please check with your school's main office for the location of the drop off location.
Students, parents/guardians, or teachers on behalf of the student can submit a request for repair of a damaged Chromebook using the following form: Student Chromebook Repair Request. Chromebook repairs typically will take 1 - 3 days but can be longer depending upon the extent of the repair. Loaner Chromebooks are available at the schools for the student to use while the device is being repaired.
Once a device is repaired, an email will be sent to the student's email account, indicating the device can be picked up at the school.
Using the form in the Device Repair section of this website, submit a request to the Technology Department for repairs. Please have the student drop the device off in the school designated device repair bins.
If a student logs into a district Chromebook using their district login credentials, their internet traffic will be filtered. This filtering is applied in school and at home. This protects against most inappropriate content, but no filtering server is 100% accurate. The district has added Chrome Extensions that parents can enable on their student's accounts to block specific websites. The extensions BlockSite and StayFocused have been added to the list of approved Chrome extensions that can be installed on district Chromebooks and Chrome browsers when logged in with district email accounts.
If you forget your login credentials, please reach out to your school librarian/media specialist. School contacts are below:
- Clinton Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jefferson Elementary School - email@example.com
- Marshall Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Montrose (Preschool Program) - email@example.com
- Seth Boyden Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Mountain Elementary School - email@example.com
- Tuscan Elementary School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maplewood Middle School - email@example.com
- South Orange Middle School - firstname.lastname@example.org
Columbia High School
- Columbia High School - email@example.com
- Columbia High School - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbia High School - email@example.com
In addition to the contacts above, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your district Google account reset.