The District commissioned architect firm, Spiezle, as a third-party vendor to inspect units in all of our schools and also invited staff on these building visits to ensure everyone is aware of the work that was completed and the remaining areas that work still need to be completed.
The District communication shared with the SOMSD community on Mon. 1/18 [https://bit.ly/35Qhgk5], slides 20 – 21 provided high-level data from our 3rd party architect inspector regarding the facilities upgrades work performed at our District schools. As a follow-up and as shared with the public, a full detailed assessment report would follow, please click here to access the report:
The CDC guidelines for operating schools during COVID-19 state that schools should consider several strategies to encourage behaviors to reduce the spread of COVID-19 such as hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, masks, social distancing, signs, cleaning and disinfection as well as ventilation scenarios.
- Signage is placed throughout the buildings reminding everyone to wear PPE, wash hands, and social distance.
- Hand sanitizing stations were installed in classrooms and hallways.
- PPE was purchased for staff and students.
- Plexi-glass barriers are installed in offices and some classrooms (i.e. science labs).
- The district directed an HVAC vendor to service and order filters all units and district staff was charged to clean and install the filters.
- The district’s architect was commissioned to inspect the systems and provide a report showing the status of the work. The last inspection was conducted the week of January 11th. Since the inspection, the district continued to perform maintenance on all HVAC units; therefore the status of work reported in the attached report does not reflect the work that was completed from the time of inspection.
- Schools were notified that spaces that do not have functioning mechanical units should have windows open when the room is occupied.
South Orange & Maplewood School District