Due to the resignation of a board member, the South Orange and Maplewood Board of Education has a vacancy. The vacancy will be filled by an appointment made by the remaining members of the Board at a public meeting on Monday, February 10, 2020 beginning 7:00 p.m.
The process for filling a vacancy differs from a typical school board election. The person appointed by the Board will become a full member of the Board and serve in that position until the next reorganization meeting in January 2021. That person and anyone in the community will have the opportunity to file a petition to run for election to complete the remaining one year of this seat in the election to be held on November 3, 2020.
In order to be considered for this appointment, any interested party must submit a letter of interest, resume and any other available information indicating their qualifications. This information should be presented in a form that will assist the Board of Education in making an appointment. Please include reasons your selection to the school board would be of value to the district and the students.
These materials can be mailed to the attention of Paul Roth, School Business Administrator / Board Secretary, c/o South Orange and Maplewood Board of Education, 525 Academy Street, Maplewood, New Jersey 07040.
The deadline for receiving materials is 1:00 p.m. February 5, 2020.
Interviews with candidates for the board vacancy will be conducted in public on Monday, February 10, 2020 beginning at 7:00 p.m. All applicants will be provided the opportunity to make a brief five minute statement that elaborates on the letter and resume; reasons for wanting to serve, qualifications, and areas of priority. The board will follow-up with any questions. After all statements and questions are concluded, the board will adjourn to executive session to deliberate. After returning from executive session the board will make nominations to fill the position and then vote to appoint one of the candidates. The candidate with a majority of the members of the Board present will immediately take the oath of office and be seated.
The person selected to fill the vacancy will have to undergo a full criminal background check.
Each member of any board of education shall, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be a resident of the district for at least one year at the time of election or appointment;
- Be able to read and write;
- Be a registered voter in the district where the person is submitting the nomination petition (or being appointed);
- Not be disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1;
- Not have been convicted of any of the crimes or offenses enumerated in N.J.S.A. 18A;12-1 or conspiracy to commit or attempt to commit any of said crimes;
- Not be the mayor or a member of the governing body of the municipality;
- Not have a direct or indirect contract with or claim against the board.
Additional information can be obtained from the New Jersey School Boards Association at https://www.njsba.org/about/membership/school-board-candidacy/ or by contacting Board Secretary Paul Roth.