Board of Education Committees (2012-13)Committees at a Glance
Board of Education Meeting Dates
When do committees meet?
· July 16, 2012· July 25, 2012 (Special)· August 20, 2012 August 27, 2012
· October 15, 2012
· November 19, 2012
· December 17, 2012
· January 9, 2013 (State of the District)
· January 28, 2013
· February 25, 2013
· March 18, 2013
· April 22, 2013 (Reorganization)
· May 13, 2013
· June 17, 2013
Unless otherwise noted on the district website, all meetings will take place at 7:30 p.m. at the district office in the meeting room. Click on the appropriate link above to view the Board of Education agenda.
Committees generally meet once a month or more if necessary. Click on the committee links below to the view the meeting schedules.
Committee Charges, Meeting Schedules/Agendas, Meeting Notes
Engagement & OutreachCommittee Charge
1) review and revision of District goals related to District communications, 2) monitoring of the District’s achievement of the District communication goals, 3) review and revision of its own goals related to communications, and 4) achievement of its own communication goals. To this end, the Committee will, with the support of the Superintendent:
- Present to the Board for consideration potential revisions to District and Board goals related to District and Board communications with parents, students and community members
- Present to the Board for consideration potential strategies for the Board to achieve its communication goals
- Provide leadership on the Board to ensure that the Board’s own communications goals are achieved
- Ensure that objective information is presented to the Board to enable the Board to monitor the District’s achievement of District’s communications goals.
Excellence & Equity
To facilitate the monitoring of the district’s efforts to achieve excellence and equity across the district by providing students with rigorous academic opportunities that prepare them for college and career readiness and ensure that academic outcomes are not correlated to demographics.
Monitoring of excellence and equity shall include, but not be limited to:· Work with the superintendent to prepare for a Review by the full Board information about curriculum, instructional programs assessment;· Review the District’s curriculum revision schedule and plan for long and short term issues and a schedule of review;· Monitor strategic plan development and implementation at CHS and both middle schools;· Review development of strategic pathways, District Management Council, Gifted and Talented programs and other related initiatives;· Accept and address other business referred to the Committee by the Board.
Finance, Facilities & Technology
To work with the superintendent as follows:
- Engaging the full Board in establishing budget priorities, both immediate and long-term, aligned to the 2013-14 and 2014-2015 adopted district goals in line with appropriate revenue estimates;
- Engaging the Board of School Estimate at an early stage and on an ongoing basis;
- Requesting of the Superintendent, on the Board’s behalf, analyses, presentations and monitoring reports focusing on the budget priorities or other topics related to the budget, including, but not limited to, a five-year financial projection to guide both the 2013-14 and long-range budget planning processes;
- Ensuring that the analyses to project revenues, expenditures, savings and other data that will influence the budget are understandably and accurately presented to the public in a timely manner to maximize public engagement in the budget process;
- Managing the budget approval process with the full Board, Board of School Estimate and the general public;
- Ensuring budget-related line items and bonding levels are appropriate to address the district's facility’s needs, are fiscally responsible and are aligned to district goals and policies;
- Updating the Board of School Estimate on the progress of district facility projects;
- Recommending to the Board those priorities, actions and budgets necessary for the proper care and maintenance of district properties to ensure an environment that supports educational excellence, both in the near and long term, and to preserve the community investment.
- Recommending standards to the full board by which to monitor and communicate the status of all district real properties, their cleanliness, maintenance, facility improvements and safety and hold the superintendent responsible for meeting the standards.
- Preparing for approval by the full board a long-range capital improvement plan that identifies priorities and projects, supports public engagement, and gains the approval of the BSE.
- Recommending to the Board those priorities, actions and budgets necessary to provide a technology infrastructure that effectively supports instruction and administration for the 21st century.
- Accepting and addressing other business referred to the Committee by the Board.
Policy & Monitoring
To develop, review and evaluate district policies for recommendation to the full Board to ensure consistency with District goals, State law and regulations, and to guide the formulation and implementation of educational programs and management operations.
- Further, the charge of the committee is to draft goal language and related monitoring requirements pertaining to professional staff for recommendation to the full Board.
- Further, the charge of the committee is to ensure that all Board committees are operating in accordance to the Carver model of Policy Governance.
- Finally, the charge of the committee is to ensure that monitoring reports presented to the full Board support the effective evaluation of progress towards District Goals.