Dear South Orange & Maplewood School District Community,
As the long Memorial Day Holiday weekend (May 28 – 31) is coming upon us (District schools will be closed) we want to share a message from our school nurses regarding travel and updated quarantine guidance for staff/and or families who are planning to travel.
What Does Quarantine Mean?
- This is when someone who might have been exposed to the virus but has no symptoms needs to stay home. This is because they could be infected and could spread the virus, even though they feel well. Someone who starts to feel sick during quarantine should contact their Health Care Provider and consider getting tested.
What is the updated guidance from NJDOH for domestic travel?
- UNVACCINATED PERSONS and Domestic Travel
New Jersey continues to strongly discourage all non-essential interstate travel at this time. Unvaccinated travelers and residents returning from any U.S. state or territory beyond the immediate region (New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Delaware) should self-quarantine at their home, hotel, or other temporary lodging following recommendations from the CDC:
- If travel is unavoidable, travelers should consider getting tested with a viral test (not an antibody test) 1-3 days before the trip and again 3-5 days after the trip.
- If travelers test positive, they should self-isolate for at least 10 days and should postpone travel during that time.
- If travelers test negative, they should still quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
- If testing is not available (or if the results are delayed), travelers should quarantine for a full 10 days after travel.
- FULLY VACCINATED PERSONS* and Domestic Travel
You no longer need to quarantine or get tested before/after domestic travel if you are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the past three months. Fully vaccinated is defined as:
- It has been more than two weeks since you received your second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine; or
- It has been more than two weeks since you received your first and only dose of the Janssen/Johnson and Johnson vaccine; or,
- You have clinically recovered from COVID-19 in the past three months.
Local testing/vaccination options:
- Please note, for middle school and high school students: Students 12 years and older who live in New Jersey are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine. To find vaccine locations: https://covid19.nj.gov/pages/finder
- Testing is presently available at 1850 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood for drop-in appointments. NJCOVID Team. Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 4:00PM (973-268-4319)
- For information on local vaccination and additional testing sites click here: https://bit.ly/3eMmxOr
For further guidance on travel, please visit the official site of the State of NJ: https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-information/travel-and-transportation/are-there-travel-restrictions-to-or-from-new-jersey
South Orange & Maplewood School District