TUSCAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Office of the Principal
25 Harvard Avenue ♦ Maplewood ♦ New Jersey 07040
August 30, 2017
Welcome to the 2017 – 2018 School Year!
The supervision and safety of your children / our students is a responsibility that we share and hold in high regard. The following arrival and dismissal procedures are to ensure appropriate supervision for the safety of our students.
Tuscan School hours are 8:45 am – 3:15 pm.
Before School and After School Childcare Programs
The South Mountain YMCA provides Before School and After School Programs. Should you need a safe and supervised place for your child before or after school. Please contact them directly at 973- 762-0183 for further information.
Children may not be left unattended on school grounds before 8:45 am or after 3:20 pm as supervision is not available before or after school hours. Please note that, after the first day of school, teachers will pick up students from their designated line up location at 8:45 a.m.
- K- 2 students must not be dropped off at the Drop Off Zone as their parent/guardian and/or their designee must escort K-2 students directly to their teacher at the designated line up location on the blacktop or to the office upon their tardy arrival.
- There is no supervision or in-door line up for students arriving on campus prior to 8:45 a.m.
- On inclement weather days students may enter the building at 8:45 m. when teachers are available to welcome students directly into their classrooms.
- Students arriving after 8:55 m. must report to the office for a late pass.
K – 2 Dismissal Procedures
- Teachers release students in grades K-2 to a parent/guardian or their designee.
- K-2 teachers remain outside for student pick up. When students are not picked up on time teachers escort children to the office.
Grades 3-5 Dismissal Procedures
- Teachers may dismiss students in grades 3 – 5 from their classrooms. Students are expected to immediately exit the building and proceed to follow their parents’/guardians’ directive.
- Parents must direct and remind their children to immediately report to the office when they are not met by their designated pick up person.
- When children awaiting pick up are not met on time at dismissal, they must report to the office and remain in the office until they are picked up.
- As per Board Policy 8601, the Request for Supervised Dismissal from School For Students in Grades 3 through 5 must be completed and submitted to your child’s classroom teacher, if parents/guardians require that their 3rd, 4th and/or 5th graders not be dismissed except to a designated individual; students will be escorted to the office and must remain in the office until pick up.
Early Dismissal Procedures
- To minimize student stress and confusion and to ensure that our students have a safe and stress-free dismissal, all changes regarding your child’s dismissal must be communicated directly to your child’s classroom teacher in advance in writing and via email to TuscanASAP@somsd.k12.nj.us.
- Tuscan School has a “no appointment no entry” safety protocol. Therefore all parents/guardians must provide early dismissal notification directly to their child’s classroom teacher in writing in advance and via email to TuscanASAP@somsd.k12.nj.us as soon as possible and prior to 11:00 am.
- Parents/guardians must come into the office to sign out their child for an early dismissal. Upon parent arrival, student will be called to meet their parent in the office.
After School Alternative Pick up
- It is important to remember that parent/guardian and/or their designee are prohibited from picking up another child without their parent’s written consent. Written parental consent must be provided to the classroom teacher in advance and via email to TuscanASAP@somsd.k12.nj.us.
- Students will not be allowed to use the office phones to initiate calls to parents to arrange after school play dates.
- To ensure the safety and well-being of our students and to minimize interruptions to teaching and learning, office staff cannot deliver phone messages regarding after school play dates or non-emergency messages for after school alternative pick up.
- Please be assured that should you experience a family emergency the office staff can be called on for assistance with communication between parents/guardians, teachers and students.
Late Pick up
- Parents or their designee are required to call the office if they are going to be late for pick up. Students will wait in the office after dismissal.
- A consistent pattern of late pick up will be viewed as neglect, warranting notification to the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Child Protection and Permanency, CP&P (formerly the Division of Youth and Family Services, DYFS).
Tuscan is an outstanding school for learning that will continue to become stronger when we collectively put forth every effort to do our personal best. We appreciate your continued support and welcome your active involvement.
With sincere appreciation,
Malikah Tamar Majeed