Board of Education
We are still monitoring the situation and wanted to provide an update. We have linked and attached several resources for your perusal to this communication including, Parent Guidelines for Helping Children Impacted by Wildfires from The National Child Traumatic Stress Network.
Today we spoke again with our local Departments of Health and they shared that the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection confirmed that our circumstances are indeed improving but have extended the air quality action day through tomorrow June 9th for particulate matter (PM2.5).
Specifically, Forecast Discussion:
6/8 - An Air Quality Action Day for Particulate Matter (PM2.5) has been declared for Thursday, June 8th. Levels of fine particulates will remain in the unhealthy category statewide on Thursday and extend into the evening hours due to wildfire smoke transport from eastern Canadian wildfires. Some members of the general public may experience health effects, while members of sensitive groups, including those with heart or lung disease, the elderly, and the young, may experience more serious health effects. All individuals should limit strenuous activities and the amount of time active outdoors, especially in the evening hours. In addition, ozone is forecast to reach the low moderate category as sunny skies, light winds, and warm temperatures are forecast for the Garden State.
6/9 - An Air Quality Action Day for Particulate Matter (PM2.5) has been declared for Friday, June 9th. Sensitive individuals, including those with heart or lung disease, the elderly, and the young should limit strenuous activities and the amount of time active outdoors. Levels of fine particulates will remain elevated in the unhealthy for sensitive groups category statewide on Friday due to residual Canadian wildfire smoke. Ozone levels are forecast to drop into the good/moderate threshold on Friday as chances for rain are expected to help limit ozone formation in northern portions of the state.
We will continue to follow the advice of our local health departments and continue with our mitigation techniques, such as limiting intensive outdoor activity. If you believe that your child will require a mask, please send one with them to school.
Schools with field trips scheduled for tomorrow, June 9th, will proceed as planned.