Committees at a Glance
Unless otherwise noted on the district website, Committees generally meet once a month or more if necessary. Click on the committee links above to the view the meeting schedules.
Board of Education Meeting Dates
- January 5, 2015 (Reorganization)
- March 16, 2015
- April 27, 2015
- May 14, 2015 (Thur. – Organizational Mtg. / Renewals)
- May 18, 2015
- June 1, 2015 (Staff Recognition / Retirement)
- June 15, 2015
Unless otherwise noted on the district website, all meetings will take place at 7:30 p.m. at the district office in the meeting room. Click on the meeting date above to view Board of Education agendas.
Committee Charges, Meeting Schedules/Agendas, Meeting Notes
Engagement & Outreach
Facilitate the review, revision, and monitoring of the District goals related to communications; formulate and present to the full Board strategies for Board engagement of the South Orange-Maplewood community; ensure that objective information is presented to the Board and public in effective ways.
1) Review and revision of District goals related to District communications
2) Monitoring of the District’s achievement of the District Goal 3
3) Review and revision of the Committee’s goals related to communications, and
4) Achievement of the Board’s own communication goals.
· Present to the Board for consideration potential revisions to District and Board goals related to District and Board communications with parents, students, staff and community members
· Present to the Board for consideration potential strategies for the Board to achieve its communication goals
· Provide leadership on the Board to ensure that the Board’s own communications goals are achieved
· Ensure that objective information is presented to the Board to enable the Board to monitor the District’s achievement of District’s communications goals
Approved: September 22, 2014 – Resolution #3198C
Excellence & Equity
Facilitate the monitoring of the district’s efforts to achieve equity and excellence by providing students with engaging and innovative academic opportunities that prepare them for college and career readiness; prepare for full board review of relevant information related to curriculum, assessment, professional development, student achievement, and academic placement.
Including, but not limited to:
- Work with the superintendent to prepare for a Review by the full Board information about curriculum, instructional programs and assessment;
- Review the District’s curriculum revision schedule and plan for long and short term issues coupled with a schedule of review;
- Monitor Strategic Plan redevelopment in line with Middle States Accreditation and implementation at CHS;
- Review development of Common Core Curriculum Standards (CCCS) implementation, preparation of Performance Assessment for College and Career Readiness (PARCC), International Baccalaureate MYP, Gifted and Talented programming and other related initiatives;
- Accept and address other business referred to the Committee by the Board.
Approved: September 22, 2014 – Resolution #3198B
Finance, Facilities & Technology
- Engage the full Board in establishing budget priorities, both immediate and long-term, aligned to the 2015-16 and 2016-2017 adopted district goals in line with appropriate revenue estimates;
- Request on the Board’s behalf, analyses, presentations and monitoring reports focusing on the budget priorities or other topics related to the budget, including, but not limited to, a five-year financial projection to guide both the 2015-16 and long-range budget planning processes;
- Ensure that the analyses to project revenues, expenditures, savings and other data that will influence the budget are understandably and accurately presented to the public in a timely manner to maximize public engagement in the budget process;
- Manage the budget approval process with the full Board;
- Ensure budget-related line items and bonding levels are appropriate to address the district's facilities’ needs, are fiscally responsible and are aligned to district goals and policies;
· Update the Board of School Estimate on the budgeting process and priorities for the 2015-2016 school year and the progress of district facility projects;
· Recommend to the Board those priorities, actions and budgets necessary for the proper care and maintenance of district properties to ensure an environment that supports educational excellence, both in the near and long term, and to preserve the community investment.
· Recommend standards to the full board by which to monitor and communicate the status of all district real properties, their cleanliness, maintenance, facility improvements and safety and hold the superintendent responsible for meeting the standards.
· Recommend to the Board those priorities, actions and budgets necessary to provide a technology infrastructure that effectively supports instruction and administration for the 21st century.
· Accept and address other business referred to the Committee by the Board.
Approved: September 22, 2014 – Resolution #3198D
Policy & Monitoring
Develop, review and evaluate district policies for recommendation to the full Board to ensure consistency with District goals, State law and regulations, and to guide the formulation and implementation of educational programs and management operations.
· Further, the charge of the committee is to draft District goal language and related monitoring requirements pertaining to professional staff for recommendation to the full Board.
· Further, the charge of the committee is to draft annual Board goals that articulate the priority work for this governing body, to be considered by the full Board.
· Further, the charge of the committee is to ensure that all Board committees are operating in accordance with the Carver model of Policy Governance.
Approved: September 22, 2014 – Resolution #3198A